We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot up help needed

carper

Likes # 0

Hi, I urgently need some advice with my computer problems Approximately one month ago my computer started to occasionally crash which was something it never did previously. This became more frequent until today it started to crash whilst not altering use and now it will not reboot at all, not even in safe mode. It sounds as though a component has failed and I would appreciate any help in deciding which way to go. I am running Windows XP SP3. I have about 30G free hard drive space and about 600 MB memory, cache memory not known. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Regards Carper

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

How far does the PC get through the boot process? Do you get any beeps whilst it is trying to boot? What messages if any do you get on screen? If you open the side of the PC can you see all the fans spinning when you switch on?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

First try unplugging ALL peripherals such as printer and try again,secondly can you boot from your XP disk?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Sorry carper, I have to be on my way to Heathrow. I will look in this evening if I can get a WiFi connection at the hotel. Good Luck RP

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. I have done as you suggest except for trying to boot from the XP disc. Fans are working and I have thoroughly vaccuumed the interior. There are no apparent loose connections or melted soldered joints. After switching on the programme goes as far as the Windows splash screen and then crashes and continues to cycle like this. There are no beeps as I never use sound on my PC unless I am video editing. A message does flash during the process but it far too fast to read. Thanks for your interest Regards Carper

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. I have done as you suggest except for trying to boot from the XP disc. Fans are working and I have thoroughly vaccuumed the interior. There are no apparent loose connections or melted soldered joints. After switching on the programme goes as far as the Windows splash screen and then crashes and continues to cycle like this. There are no beeps as I never use sound on my PC unless I am video editing. A message does flash during the process but it far too fast to read. Thanks for your interest Regards Carper

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Probably a corrupt driver

Tap F8 as it boots and select Last Known Good Configuration from the Menu.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say the PSU is on the way out or it gone. that's why its kept crashing

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. A member of another forum has suggested that the PSU could be dodgy. Some twelve months ago I upgraded the PSU for a more powerful one although there was nothing wrong with the original.I have now replaced the original but the problem is just the same. The boot up doesn't go as far as being able to reach last known good configuration. I don't think I mentioned that the PC is about eight years old. A bit ancient in computer terms. Thanks for your interest. Regards Carper

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It's starting to sound like hard drive failure to me. As you say, it's an old computer, but if you can get borrow a hdd you could try booting from your disc again. Don't use a hard drive with anything on it, just as a test.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you get into safemode?

If not Do you have a XP CD? if so do a repair

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED