We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using recovery disk

krsna
Resolved

Likes # 0

My HP XP pc crashed & I used the recovery disk to get it going but I have lost all info in My Documents i.e My Photos & emails, can I recover them somehow. I thought the recovery disk would repair XP & leave data alone. I have lost some programs but others are still there for instance office is gone but powerdvd is still working. Any suggestions.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The restore DVD`s will have wiped the drive and restored the drive to factory defaults. Some might suggest that you can recover some data using tools like Recuva but in my experience you would be wasting your time.

Obviously Office needs to be reinstalled along with all the MS Updates and any printer drivers. No doubt Microsoft Update is already working automatically in the background. My advice is that if you do want to attempt any sort of recovery of data turn off automatic updates immediately. Everything you do on the computer is potentially overwriting data.

Let`s see if anyone else has a suggestion.

Like this post
krsna

Likes # 0

Thanks Taff, but why are some programs still there and desktop icons are there also.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

All you should have are the programs which were pre-installed on the computer when it was new. So programs like Adobe Reader, maybe a trial version of Office and an Antivirus package trial such as Norton / McAfee.

Unless the "recovery disc" was in fact an XP installation disk and you performed a recovery installation - this would have left all your data intact as well as programs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

HP XP pc recovery disk If you performed a non-destructive recovery and you want to find your previous documents and files, first, use the steps in this document to make sure that your computer is properly set up, and then use the HP support document Unable to Access Data from User Accounts after a System Recovery in Windows XP to retrieve your files from the previous user account ClickHere

Unable to Access Data from User Accounts after a System Recovery in Windows XP ClickHere

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go to Windows Explorer, Not Internet Explorer. Look in the List of Folders for one that is using a lot disc space by Right Click/Properties As HP sometimes creates this folder when you do a recovery. It did on my HP Laptop Stuff may be in that

Like this post
krsna

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic I used the "Unable to Access Data from User Accounts after a System Recovery in Windows XP ClickHere" link that you mentioned & carried out the instructions and now have managed to recover my photos.(fantastic) Although they have become visible they are not in "my pictures" as before. I am not sure if I will manage to recover the emails I have to load office 2010 first. But I have spent a lot of time trying to get my mcafee anti-virus running but without success so I have now put on avg anti virus for now. Although I can see a lot of my data now the programs are all over the place with some able to run & others not, so I will try & slowly sort it out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room