We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why does outlook put new mail in the trash?

ened

Likes # 0

I am new to Win 7 and tried Windows Live Mail but (amongst other things) did not like the way it kept putting new emails in a folder called Trash. So, having installed Office 2010,I am using Outlook.

Now Outlook is doing the same thing.

I am struggling to even find how to adjust settings with this.

Can any one give me some pointers?

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

It doesn't show in details. I know this because it had stalled on the sixth task so I had time to look.

How can I access the settings?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does this help? Send and Receive Overview

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell

I guess I'm getting too old for all this new stuff. Outlook Express/Windows mail was nice and easy and all I needed really.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

They have overcomplicated things, hang in there, you will get to grips with it in the end! :))

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I'm totally confused now.

There are two accounts which both have the same email address (mine) and it seems to be pot luck which one is in use.

In other words I am waiting for an email and then find it in the second account, which is the exact same address. I send myself a test mail and it disappears, only to turn up in the other Inbox.

Any ideas how I can resolve this without losing all my messages?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can drag and drop all the messages into one folder. I am puzzled to the reference to 2 inboxes. I have 3 accounts (used to have 4). All the pop e-mail accounts share the same inbox and have message rules to put them in the respective subfolder. My imap account though has a separate inbox. Are you running pop or imap with AOL? With one e-mail address you should only have one account.

Must admit I'm not sure that I can help much more as I am not running AOL or Outlook 2010 as I am still using Outlook 2007.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

To clarify: I have only one email account: **@aol.com.

In Outlook there are now THREE separate accounts in the left pane:

Outlook Data File & My account duplicated

Each one has an Inbox, one of my accounts has TWO for Junk Mail, something about RSS feeds, an imported folder which is empty and a folder entitled Search. One Sent folder and one Sent Items.......

In short it is a mess and I would appreciate some suggestions for sorting it out.

Should I send the emails I want to keep to my Hotmail a/c and re-install Outlook? If I did this would it start afresh or would it retrieve these settings?

Is there a simple solution to this?

Or is there a simpler email programme I can use with Windows 7? As I said in an earlier post: my email needs are very basic and I was fine with OE/WLM.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Windows Live Mail works fine with W7.

It would seem that the set up has become corrupted. It may be best to start again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps Outlook is not as complicated normally.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

I switched from WLM because it was moving the contents of my Inbox (read & unread)into a folder called Trash. It hadn't occurred to me that this was coming from AOL. Now I am beginning to wonder whether most of these problems haven't come, in some way, from AOL.

For example one of my Junk folders contains 27 messages I have sent which date right back to when I first signed up to AOL. This is a completely different machine and those messages are not on any of my Hard Drives. They must have been kept and then downloaded (without my knowledge or my request)from the server.

There is no point in trying to ask AOL about this, because life is too short, but it does look as though they, in some way, have caused all this.

I think I shall, as you suggest, start again. I just need to formulate a plan.

Why oh why does win7 not ship with an email client?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide