We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft .NET Framework

FEEBS

Likes # 0

I have been looking at what is on my HDD to see if I can reclaim any space and found the following Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 Microsoft .NET framework 2 Service Pack 2 Microsoft .NET framework 3 Service Pack 2 Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 Do I really need all these or can I delete any of them? (I don't even know what they are) I'm running Win XP SP3 Cheers Feebs

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Net Framework in its various versions is required by some of your software to operate properly. It is unlikely that you can dispense with any of it unless you no longer use the software that requires it. Perhaps some trial and error may find what you could dispose of but beware uninstalling and reinstalling Net Framework versions can lead to problems with Windows Update. Best to leave well alone.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I concur, you need these files. Best look elsewhere if you need to save or reclaim space. Adding an external USB hard drive is a pretty cheap option these day's some examples:

link text

1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freecom-500GB-External-Drive-Silver/dp/B000LQA652 External Hard Drives

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Please leave well alone and do not be tempted to remove earlier versions. .NET Framework installations are cumulative and later versions rely on the presence of earlier versions to install and work.

Like this post
FEEBS

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys for your responses, I guess I'll leave things as they are. I do use an external HDD but I reckoned if I deleted some of the unused stuff on my int HD then it might run faster. Ho-hum! Kind regards Feebs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED