We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cheap RAM any ideas?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hello guys i hate flooding the forum with threads this must be my 5th one this week??

Anyway i am really shocked to find that a old laptop (2004 model) i am fixing needs a RAM upgrade and its the price that is shocking me? i want Two 1 gig Sticks of this RAM PC DETS

I cant find any new OR second hand for less than £40?? for my desktop its cheaper? Has anyone got any idea where they sell either new or Used RAM pls?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try here link text

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I usually look at eBay for old or new, have you tried there?.

Computer fairs were the next step, but there doesn't seem to be many computer fairs about nowadays.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Thanks guys for your help! ive seen the links and for TWO 1 gig sticks its almost £50?? the laptop is only worth a ton lol Ive looked at Ebay usa and they seem to be offering ram from trusted sellers for around £35 inc delivery? what do u think is it worth taking the risk? Cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It seems to be that the "older" the RAM the more expensive it becomes. I have sold RAM a few times on Ebay that I no longer had use for and the buyers have been pleased with their purchases - I would love to have helped you out but unfortunately I don't have any left.

You shouldn't have any worries about buying from what you describe as "trusted sellers" - but is there any particular reason why you are looking on Ebay USA ?

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Have you tried crucial?

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem with my old desktop and found cheap ram at Play.com. They may also have ram for laptops.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

EARL - Crucial (and others such as MrMemory) are relatively expensive compared with second hand stuff from ebay. It's the old DDR that costs - twice that of DDR2.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I thought SODIM was Laptop Memory

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you should take care as the Laptop I think will not take all that memory and it will have been just like throwing your money in the bin.

I have a old Tosh laptop and it will not take more than 32Mb

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have an old Compaq Armada e500 (12yrs old) which would need 2 x 256MB (max allowed) @£30 each from its present total of 128MB. (PC1OO 100mHZ SDRAM)

It will run XP, just, without AV and can browse and play movies OK after 15mins or so settling down.

Linux Puppy runs a fair bit better on it.

I don't use it much. I really only keep it 'just in case'

£5 or £10 memory comes up on ebay. But, in my case, I won't even bother with that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...