We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I Fix My Computer Screen?

chrly

Likes # 0

I'm having trouble with my monitor, I've had a long time and it used to be on my brothers really old computer before he "Re-vamped" it a little and got a new screen, so when my screen broke I used his old one.

The screen works fine and everything it's just that no matter what I've tried with the built-in display settings (Contrast/brightness etc) I can't get it perfect, everything is displayed slightly pink and a fair bit darker than every other monitor.

Rather than buying a new monitor, is there any way to fix it? Someone said something about "Screen Refreshers" but I don't know too much about computers.

Hope you can help! Thanks in advance.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a Old Crt then the colour guns will be on there way out

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If it is an old CRT monitor (i.e. not an LCD flat screen), there may be an option in its controls to "degauss" it. This removes unwanted magnetic fields that have built up and which could be contributing to the pink colour cast.

However, it might simply be past its "sell by" date.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Bear in mind the monitor is past its expected life as woodchip says.

Repair as in the early days of TV will cost far more than replacement even if you could find someone to do it.

mgmcc mentions degaussing, there I think it might be the answer for a distorted image or patchyness, but don't think it will solve your problem though try it if you can.

The signal lead to the monitor just might be faulty, and if you can try your monitor on someone elses PC and swop cables as well in stages if you can.... then if you are very very lucky..... it might be the cable!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its not a degaussing problem, the Colour Guns can be refreshed using High Voltages but doubt any body doing it now plus they would not last long, as its only a temporary measure

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Try your local "Freecycle", there are usually a load of CRT monitors going spare.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Worth a try: Check the refresh Rate.

If you are moving from a LCD, or TFT, to a CRT, be aware that each uses a different light source and this will result in different intensities of emission of light and colour.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer