We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead PC - What should I try next?

Steve Mat

Likes # 0

I fitted a new power supply, motherboard, chip and RAM to my son's pc in Dec 10. Last week it refused to boot up. The fan on the power supply kicks in but the pc doesn't boot and the hard drive does not make the right noises (or any noise for that matter) that you expect on boot/access.

I have tried unplugging any unnecessary devices, replacing the hard drive and using the onboard video but to no avail. I have also checked all connections.

Not sure if it is of any help but my son told me that prior to its complete demise, he had to try booting it up (pressing on button several times before it started.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may be the CPU that shot if the PSU blew up

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Best way to test is with only CPU in and one stick of ram plus onboard graphics. no drives see if it will boot to BIOS

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds as if the new PSU has died already.

Like this post
Steve Mat

Likes # 0

Even though the fan is running on the PSU?

How do I test the PSU?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

With the harddrive removed and all other unnecessary devices and with one stick of ram in - does it display the BIOS info and tell you 'no bootable device found'?

Like this post
Steve Mat

Likes # 0

Nothing. PSU fan runs & CPU fan runs but nothing else.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It could be the PSU. but as I said if you put all new things in as you said, it only leaves the CPU that's not been changed

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Even though the fan is running on the PSU?

Yes its on the mains side. you could also have system fans running but not enough power for drives or CPU.

Best test is to try another PSU

Its also possible the Power switch is faulty and not giving the switch on signal via the motherboard.

try momentarily shorting across the power on pins on the mother board

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just remembered, you said you fitted a new Motherboard, did you put the clear CMOS jumper on to the Run Pins or are they still on Clear CMOS pins? if they are you could have blown the new Motherboard

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you fitted the new Motherboard, did you set all the jumpers as per manual instructions

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers