We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no sound through TV when connecting via HDMI (usual fix not working)

biguk

Likes # 0

Hi,

For a few months now ive been searching forums for an answer to my trouble. So hopefully someone can help me.

I've read numerous accounts of. Go into sound properties or playback devices (via right click) and switch your properties from Speakers to Digital Audio (S/PDIF). None of which work for me...

I have an ACER Aspire 5338 Laptop running windows 7. I vagely remember the sound working through my TV when i initially bought it, but for the last 18 months its been non existant.

I'm using a Belkin HMDI cable the same that i use for my Apple TV without any issues, so it can broadcast sound fine.

Can anyone help me at all?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

"switch your properties from Speakers to Digital Audio (S/PDIF)": Not so.

read this Click here

Fifth & Sixth posts down.

Have you tried that?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

SPDIF refers to an OPTICAL connection. Since you don't have one, apply the changes in Lazarus The 2nd's post.

HDMI cables can carry both video and sound. Optical will carry sound only.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If you right click on the speaker icon to the right of the tool bar and select playback devices/HDMI output you should get sound through the HDMI cable to you TV.

If you are still having problems it could be the drivers require updating.

Like this post
biguk

Likes # 0

Thanks Brynit, but i had mentioned that this didn't work in my opening post.

Like this post
biguk

Likes # 0

I believe I've tried 'Lazuras the 2nd' suggestion in the past. From what i remember my TV doesn't show up when its attached to the laptop.

But i will try it tonight and let you guys know the outcome..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014