We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I back up my system?

Lawford

Likes # 0

I want to clone my C drive including all the system programmes. Including XP Pro. Following a recent crash when I lost the programmes, my XP disc would not reload.

I have no problem backing up data to an EHD, but do not know how to back-up the system programmes.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Your best option is to use a program such as Acronis True Image. This will let you either "clone" your hard drive, or create an "image" file which can be restored to your main drive in the event of problems with the installation or restored to a new drive in case of main drive failure.

Cloning is normally only used if replacing a drive that may be failing or when upgrading to a larger drive. Creating image files means that the rest of a second hard drive can still be used for normal file storage.

For a free program that will create an image file of your entire hard drive, have a look at Macrium Reflect, although in the free version, you need to boot with the CD (which you create) to perform the "restore" operation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Read here for more info

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Acorns TI as posted above, used with an external USB hard drive is the way to go. I have lost count of how many times it's saved my bacon!

A 500 gb external hdd won't cost the earth, and Acronis is worth every penny. Amazon, Misco or Novatech are competitive on price.

Like this post
Lawford

Likes # 0

Thank you all so much for explanations and advice that makes the task so simple. I already have ample space on an EHD.

Thanks again for such rapid reaction and help.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You could also use EASEUS, (free program) as that has the ability to create a clone of a drive.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback