We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

+++ MEDION USB external drive - should I buy it??

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

thinking of buying a 500gb external drive for £39 in Aldi, I have a Buffalo one which is v. good. have only the USB 2 laptops so not really bothered about the USB3 models, the USB 2 ones are USB powered so very handy. Saw some problems with another person who couldnt "format" the drive and wondered if I should buy this Medion drive, its only for simple extra storage for vids/photo's/etc., - would you recommend one?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

why not?

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

But is it reliable and do any of the experts here know of any potential problems here?? I know its probably made with a "leading"brand innards but am alway a bit nervous of stuff that is so cheap, though there USB sticks and SD cards have all been fine. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This is the only review I could find and it shows that if there is a problem then Medion are quick to fix/replace a drive. And this is the Medion warranty

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hmmm, that review looks a bit worrying but its not really a technical spec review. good that she got it all replaced but of course lost all the data on it, I wonder how often this happens with these external drives??? I guess they must all have a pretty standard processor or whatever is inside it, probably made by Hitachi (i think my my Buffalo drive is a Hitachi inside) or Samsung or one of the big companies. thanks PCDIMWIT it does make the think from that "customer review" that there MUST be a way to retrieve the data that was on the disk????

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Medion warranty.

Medion has been taken over by a China firm I believe so whether they will honour any warranty I do not know.

Not seen any Medion computers in Aldi since I bought mine about 3 months ago.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

All I'd say is - at that price, buy two, and store your stuff on both. Th chances of two drives going wrong at the same time are, I'd have thought, pretty minimal. And it's always a good idea to have a backup of your backups. I speak as someone sufficiently paranoid that my two internal 250GB drives are backed up to two 5OOGB USB drives, which are backed up to a 1TB USB drive - which is backed up to another 1TB USB drive that I keep in a completely different place. With years and years of accumulated photos, music, emails and correspondence, it seems unwise not to invest in all the storage you can afford.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

~This is what I am worried about it I scan all my old roll film photos and "irreplaceable" stuff, should the one external drive fail. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can get WD Internal 1TB for £40 (amazon).

Open you existing ext USB or buy a cheap/caddy enclosure or both? Or buy 1 x Medion + 1 x WD?

I agree multiple units are the best strategy.

--* Just checked again on amazon. 500GB Ints @ £30. WD Int is SATAII, dunno if that affects caddies/enclosures.

But anyway, WD Ext Drive @ £41.09 link text

Happy shopping

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Always buy the largest dirve you can afford. You will be supprised how fast they fill up.

I have 6 TB of movies stored on mine.

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Do run a virus checker scan. I bought one from ALDI a few years ago and it was infected. Still going strong after years of rough usage. Mine had a Samsung HDD inside.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'