We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstalled vista 32, now computer wont connect to the internet.

Tidying Up

Likes # 0

Because my computer was becoming slow and crashing i was advised to reinstall windows, which i have done with a vista 32 CD. Now when i load up the computer it will not connect to the internet which is connect to the router by a wire. Normally i don't need to do anything it simply connects automatically.

A friend suggested that i could be a driver issue when it installed vista.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Have you reinstalled the LAN/network drivers? Check in Device Manager, see if there's an exclamation mark there.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If there is, go to the manufacturers website (on another machine) and find the LAN driver. Once installed you'll be able to get other drivers via websites such as Slimdrivers link text which is free and will find drivers for those that are missing.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you have your motherboard CD to hand then fire that in and install the drivers or failing that,as all ready stated go to your motherboards manufacturers website and get the necessary drivers.

Like this post
Tidying Up

Likes # 0

Sorry for the late response.

Yes there is an exclamation mark next to my Ethernet cable in device manager. What website would i find the necessary driver on, and then how would i transport it from my working laptop to my internet-less computer?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you download and run SIW, link text it will give details of your motherboard and ethernet device (along with loads of other stuff). Google the device and you should be able to find a driver for it which you can download to another computer and put on a memory stick. You can then run it on the problem computer.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You need to know the make of your motherboard for you to obtain the correct LAN driver - if you don't know it download and run SIW from here which will give you all the information you require link text Choose the first one in the list ie: the FREE version.

You can transfer the driver from your laptop via a USB key or CD/DVD

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

SIW from here link text

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Did you not get the mother board disc as well as the Vista disc if so run that one and it will re-install all the drivrs that you will need for lan onboard sound etc

Like this post
Tidying Up

Likes # 0

I downloaded a program from the realtek website called Drive Navigator. I managed to get it onto the problem computer.

In device manager the explecmation mark is next to Realtek RTl8168 /8111 Family PCI-E gigabit ethernet.

But the drive scanner says my motherboard is Microstar Internation ms - 7392.

Also at the end of the scan it doesn't give me results, i assume because of the internet problem. The remote name could not be resolved 'db.drivenavigator.com'

I should i download the realtek driver and put that on my other computer or should i do something else.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

One of these is your motherboard, MSI there should be a little more detail after MS-7392 to figure out which exactly is your Mobo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback