We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weak internet signal, related to O/S?

ITBuffoon

Likes # 0

I have a problem with a desktop PC.

The wireless and router works perfectly OK with laptops, ipods and iphones around the house. The desktop, via a netwok adaptor, picks up wireless, but it's so weak as to be unusable.

The problem seems to be one of signal strength for the desktop (the PC, with a Belkin network adaptor, only picks up the signal when in close proximity to the router - a few feet), but this problem only arose after a re-install of Windows.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue after a re-install?

I have tried all the recommended things........changing the channel on the router, reinstalling the network adaptor drivers, a new network adaptor...

But the nagging thing seems to me to be the fact the problems only started after an O/S re-install....

Please help!!!!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Not after re installation of windows but I had trouble with a PCI card once getting interference from the electrics of the desk top until I installed one with an Arielon a lead which I could put up away from the back.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Should read Ariel on a lead

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Should read Ariel on a lead"

Should read Aerial on a lead, unless using washing powder! ;)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'unless using washing powder'

Or an old motor bike!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Just the Square 4

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ah, now you're talking - my Dad had one with a 'chair' for the family.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks