We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NTDETECT Failed IBM Thnkpad Help?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Too early in on a Sunday morning to be doing this! But ive got to get this sorted one way or another, Can anyone help please? when i boot this old IBM laptop up the OS is not loading? i get the basic bios boot screen and as its about to start the OS i get a black screen with some white text saying "NTDETECT Failed".? ive got a XP disc here BUT on the hard drive is some documents i need is there a way around this please?]

Thanks o lovely people of PCA :-) & good morning to you all!

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

BTW its running on XP and its a IBM Thinkpad T40 2373-92G TY

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Download this Boot CD make a CD with it, Set your BIOS to Boot to CD as first boot device and Hard Drive as second boot device, Start Laptop with the CD in the Drive and look under Boot Management on the CD list

Click on this boot CD link

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Bot the machine using the XP CD select repair and use recovery console

If it asks for admin password just press enter at the C:\windows prompt type

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ where X is the drive letter for your CD drive. Remove the CD and type exit. Reboot your machine and see if that has fixed the problem.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Wow Woodchip uve become an invaluable partner too me! ty once again! FruitBat cheers for your time so i take it i WONT loose the info on the hard drive? as ive stated its a laptop with some crucial documents the owner is a Head teacher for a local school and she has lots of PDF's and other important docs i would hate to loose them :-(

Thanks once again i'l get back to u later just off to a BBQ lol there is a beer here for u both!

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Fruit bat im not sure why not but when i do what ur asking me to the "recovery console" ""R"" option is not there?? it asks me three other options ?

Any ideas please?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you are trying to do a Repair using the XP CD start with CD in the drive, Choose Setup, it look at your drive for a Operating System, it should come back that it as found XP and will show what it found, click on what it found to select it the press R to repair it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What three options?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Damn so sorry Fruitbat ive posted the link to the wrong thread! doh...here it is and thanks!

Video Here

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Ive also got a copy of "EasyBCD" but its a setup exe only i cant seem to put an image on it?? so its not recognised when i put the disc in on bootup..

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAS it got a floppy drive? It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]

timeout=-1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos

C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Take out the spaces between the lines (had to put them in so that this site prints it correctly

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find and extract from the XP CD

NTDETECT.COM NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

or Get a linux live CD link text

Copy Ntdetect and ntdlr to a mem stick Boot from the live linux CD and copy the these files to C:\ in the thinkpad then try and boot.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...