We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Processor or RAM upgrade.

mehim
Resolved

Likes # 0

Which is better to do when selecting options from a design your site?

For instance, upgrading from an Intel® CoreTM i3-2310M 2.10GHz with 3 MB L3 Cache to an Intel® CoreTM i5-2520M 2.50GHz for £100 or increase from 4 gb to 8gb ram for £60. The price is not really an issue as the difference is not to great, it is more which will increase the overall performance better.?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you only use a 32 Bit operating system then increasing the ram will have no effect at all.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Thanks gengiscant, it will be 64bit.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

CPU works better at all speeds under all conditions, Extra Ram is only good if you are working on Video or big Photo Editing. 4 Gig should be good enough for anybody any more to me is just throwing money away

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Will the Motherboard take the bigger CPU? check motherboard Manual for CPU support on size

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Will the Motherboard take the bigger CPU? check motherboard Manual for CPU support on size

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

woodchip it will be custom built such as here

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

I always work to the theory that it is cheaper and easier to increase the ram at a later date than it is to upgrade the processor. Also processors seem to be replaced fairly quickly in the manufactures lists and become quite difficult to source after a couple of years. Go for the fastest you can afford now and you will be at least a little bit more 'future proof'.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?