We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I find the COA code within my laptop

dazzlewick

Likes # 0

The COA code has rubbed off from the label on the bottom of my laptop. Can I find the number somewhere within the laptop so that I can make a note of it before something happens where I will need it. Thanks in advance! D

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree that Belarc Advisor, SIW and similar all would find the OEM SLP key installed on the laptop.

The COA key that is on the bottom of the laptop is not the same as the OEM SLP key factory install.

For further info see article System Locked Preinstallation or google for OEM SLP key

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Taff™

With the exception of gengiscant's ProduKey I've tried all the others mentioned. All of them show an incorrect key so an installation from a retail disc fails. Tried them on a Vista laptop and the only one that worked was the one on the label.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. The SLP key is tied to the bios.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

lotvic - good article and that really explains it well. From experience however the keys recovered by Belarc are sufficient to reload XP and seek reactivation from MS telephone support. (The article explains why the automated process fails and you are passed on to a human who always provides a new key) As for Vista I`ve also managed to re-install from another manufacturers recovery disk and re-activate using the key recovered from the laptop by Belarc.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

rdave13 - I haven't tried from a retail disk. I`ve got an OEM disk for Vista. I can see your point though, the key wouldn't tie up with a fresh install from a full retail version disk.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Ask the people who made it - they may have a production record with the number. Then put it on a label inside the HDD cover or battery cover.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Taff™, I did install Vista with a retail disc but only with the COA on the sticker. Still, worth knowing that you could reinstall Vista using the recovered key from Belarc, I couldn't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...