We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I find the COA code within my laptop

dazzlewick

Likes # 0

The COA code has rubbed off from the label on the bottom of my laptop. Can I find the number somewhere within the laptop so that I can make a note of it before something happens where I will need it. Thanks in advance! D

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No as it is an OEM version.

Like this post
dazzlewick

Likes # 0

Thanks!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry to disappoint but I've tried SIW, Bellark, Key finder and others. They all fail to find the OEM key but work OK with retail.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That seems to be a big problem with laptops they should put them under the battery!!!

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

dazzlewick,

As it would appear from the previous answers to your question that it is not possible to locate your COA within Windows, it might be best to take regular Images of your whole hard drive with Acronis Disk Image or a similar programme. This would enable you to restore your Operating System, programmes and data files, to the same state as when the backup was taken, in the case of a hard drive failure. Several generations of Image, 2 or 3, would be a good idea, stored on an external hard drive.

Peter.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

To be sure, make a set of Recovery DVDs and a Startup/Repair CD/DVD.

Make .iso files of the discs using, say, Imgburn. Save those to Main drive.

Since you will of course be sensible and make Acronis/Macrium/Easeus Todo images as well, you will then have Recovery DVDs in 3 places to get back to Factory condition.

They only work with your specific laptop and do not ask for the COA key.

Some users report being asked to re-enter license key during lifetime of their laptops. In that case, telephone Microsoft Support/Helpline and they can issue another key in genuine cases.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I'm sorry to contradict, unless I misunderstand something. Belarc Advisor will recover the COA key quite easily. As a matter of course whenever I work on a laptop I use Belarc to give me a snapshot of all programs and the hardware I`m working with. Belarc Advisor Website

The code is listed along with the other keys for MS Office etc about half way down the report under Manage All your software licences .....

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I use ProduKey, ProduKey which will find a key even from an external hard-drive if it has an operating system on it. Excellent bit of software.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Strawballs - they should remind people that you shouldn't use laptops on your lap ;o)

For obvious reasons: The ventilation intakes are invariably on the underside of the laptop. On your lap these are covered and restrict air flow causing the fans to work overtime and ultimately straining the CPU which overheats. Also you lose the COA Key!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...