We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I close my Windows Live Mail account ?

Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello experts !

I have been working with Hotmail Plus during many years, everything was smooth and perfect.

Then I decided to try Windows Live Mail and my life is a mess: I can't avoid that all my mail pops every five minutes, while working in any other program. Worst of all, from the three options in the small "Sign in" screen (sign in/cancel/close) it always go through directly to show all my mailbox. I have done all our friends in the forums have suggested me with no results.

So all I want now is just cancel (close forever) my Windows Live Mail Account, how could I do that ?

Thanks in advance for your help, all the best, Antonio.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Mail pops up every five minutes]

Just go to msconfig.and open start box and untick Windows Live mail.Apply or Ok.

That way you will only get mail when you open your e-mail account.

Thats the way I do it and just check for mail about 3 times a day.

Close the account Just sign out of Windows Live mail and remove any usernames or passwords.

That still leaves your account open for use anytime you want to sign in again.

Not sure if there is a way that you can actually delete your e-mail account but I am sure someone will be able to tell you how.

Do you use windows live messenger maybe stop that from starting when you start your computer.

Open messenger.Tools.Options.Sign in.Untick start messenger when I Log on to my computer.Apply Ok

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To remove windows live mail go to control panel, programs and features (add/remove) and select Windows Live Essentials. Select uninstall and in the window that opens select remove one or more Windows Live programs. Follow the prompts after selecting Windows Live Mail. You then can log in to your web mail accounts either through the MSN page or through messenger.

Like this post
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Thank you buteman and rdave13 !

My friends, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I just uninstalled Windows Live Mail and the problem is solved for good.

Now I have another question: are there other programs I might use to handle my Hotmail account ? I have been working during many years with Hotmail, I have even the "Hotmail Plus" level account, but I find some of the feautures very limited, for instance it doesn't offer the possibility of copying an e-mail in several different files.

So I was wondering if there are other ways to manage my Hotmail Plus account, other than the Windows Live Mail with which I just had a messy experience ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buteman: this is not the first time I get help from you, I want to tell you how much I do apreciatte you make time to help others.

All the best, Antonio Machado.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded