We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network Xp to Vista stopped working

Channel

Likes # 0

I recently reinstalled Vista on my Dell laptop.Before that,I could view and open shared files on my XP desktop, although the PC couldn't see the laptop.Now, I can get online, but can't see the PC in Network places.I've ensured both have same workgroup name.I think it may be due to Norton Internet Security,which I've renewed and reinstalled from new disk.But the former one didn't prevent file-sharing, albeit one way,XP to Vista.Before I uninstall Norton again, is there anything else I should have done after Vista reinstall ?

Like this post
Channel

Likes # 0

I've thankfully solved this myself- with Google's help.(Has this forum "gone downhill" recently ? I used to have immediate replies to posts, but recently, I've had none or few, even at weekends.)I discovered that by following Tweakhound's advice on Vista services,link textI'd disabled SSDP Discovery, and IPsec Policy Agent services, and as soon as I re-enabled them,I could see my Xp machine on the Vista one,and share its folders.As before, though, I've been unable to see the Vista on the XP one. But that's less important.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...