We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unresponsive Samsung Laptop

NeilMcG

Likes # 0

Hello all..

Here we go with a tale of woe!

Friend recently dropped her Samsung R530 laptop & made bits of the screen. Replaced screen & all worked fine. I was honestly surprised that mobo/hdd were not damaged, given extent of screen damage.

Then over last few days screen began "acting funny". Then went completely dark, not a glimmer.

Tried connecting to external monitor, it worked briefly but monitor would go to sleep after a minute or so. You could hear the Windows startup chime as it booted up.

Now on startup the lights come on but no-ones home! No start up tone, external screen doesn't come on.

I've gone through every fn key combination, disassembled & checked screen connectors, re-seated RAM & HDD.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious or is mobo DOA?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This is more of a hands on problem, need to see and play with the item, but I feel that you are probably right in that the mobo suffered some damage.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check every connector not just the screen ones.

Re-seat any sub-assemblies.

See if a Linux CD will run (not install)

Cross your fingers

Like this post
NeilMcG

Likes # 0

Thanks guys,

Did a closer scrutiny, it looks as if the lcd cable was being pinched by the lid hinge, but I wouldn't think that would affect external display?

Neil

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like a graphics chip problem

Like this post
NeilMcG

Likes # 0

Ok, further update:

Left screen disconnected, re-assembled, and is now running on external display. They system time has reverted to 2008, but otherwise seems ok.

I'm definitely leaning towards the cable being damaged as the culprit....

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BIOS battery loose / disconnect if system time is wrong

Like this post
NeilMcG

Likes # 0

That was my first thought FB, cheers.

I'll do a few reboots with time between & see if it holds the correct time & date.

Neil

Like this post
NeilMcG

Likes # 0

Ok, another update:

Installed replacement LCD cable & booted.

Samsung logo appears & boots to windows but screen VERY dark. But still more than I was getting with previous cable.

Will not boot if both LCD & external monitor are connected. Will boot fine to external.

I cannot locate the lid switch (to turn off screen when lid closed) so I assume its some sort of sensor/magnet.

I set the diplay to 'do nothing' when lid is closed, but had no effect.

Backlight gone on new screen? :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Back light or invertor

Like this post
NeilMcG

Likes # 0

Hello again,

Developments so far...

Received replacement screen & fitted with new lcd cable. Nothing, nada. Screen completely black.

Tried with old cable, very dim Samsung logo, then nothing.

Works fine with external monitor which leads me to conclude that graphics chip is ok?

Could I be unlucky enough to have a received a faulty replacement monitor?

Or could second cable be faulty also?

Gonna chuck it out the window shortly :0 :)

Thanks again folks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes