We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Dimension 3100 Graphics Card

bensdad1

Likes # 0

Hi , Im new to this site and no great with computers, so be gentle.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent graphics card that will work with my Dell Dimension 3100.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Upgrading simply isn't an option when it comes to the system's Intel-integrated graphics. Scoring a woeful 4.5 frames a second in our Doom 3 test, the graphics just can't cope with the latest games - and because the proprietary Dell motherboard has no AGP or PCI-Express 16x slot for a graphics card, you can't replace the graphics card with anything better. For a system designed for home entertainment, this is a serious flaw.

This was extracted from this review

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"Upgrading simply isn't an option when it comes to the system's Intel-integrated graphics. Scoring a woeful 4.5 frames a second in our Doom 3 test, the graphics just can't cope with the latest games - and because the proprietary Dell motherboard has no AGP or PCI-Express 16x slot for a graphics card, you can't replace the graphics card with anything better. For a system designed for home entertainment, this is a serious flaw. In fact, limited upgrade potential is an issue throughout this system. Only one PCI-Express slot is free for internal add-in cards, while outside, only four USB 2 ports are provided to plug in external devices and there's no FireWire."

from here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Should of refreshed before posting :0(

beaten to the draw again :0)

Like this post
bensdad1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies,

Doesn't sound too good. surely there is something I can do, I have a base rate index of 1.0 for graphics.

I have recently upgraded the memory to 2gb and now have upgraded to windows 7 ultimate this week.

I am struggling to install games onto the pc and can't even play solitaire!

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I have added a PCI (not PCI express) graphics card to a Dimension 3000. You will not get the performance of the latest graphics cards but an ATI 9200/9250 card has kept the system going for a few more years.

Ebuyer used to have a few PCI cards but I could only find one today:- ebuyer

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Another option to improving performance is to use a version of linux which is not resource hungry e.g. lubuntu. download from here

I have the Dimension 3000 dual booting so I can select Windows or Linux.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...