We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Write a letter in Windows7?

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I realised that I haven't composed a letter since I went over to Windows 7 always communicating by e-mail.

Is there a word Processor buried in W7 Home Premium somewhere or do I just download OpenOffice?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I believe there is something called Wordpad in windows 7 which will allow you to write basic letters. If I were you I would however download Open Office as it will give you a better product but if you don't need it then you might get by using Wordpad.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I find the only program included is Microsoft Office Word Viewer which does only what it says and is just a small sectiom of the whole Word package.

Looks like Open Office is the solution as mentioned on another thread here.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another good freebie is Lotus Symphony. It has word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, much like Microsft Office 2007, and can be saved in MS format.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Muergo: if you look under All Programs, Accessories, you should find both Wordpad and Notepad.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have just downloaded OpenOffice, What a palaver!!

It's not enough to download it, you have to register whch involves signing up for an Oracle account and another registration.

Now I can't get it to run properly but no doubt I'll find a way.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Open Office does have a decent forum But I agree Open office is a palaver There is always a step which appears like an advert before you can use it gel

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

If you have windows 7 premium you should have Microsoft office starter 2010 but that may irritate with an advert floating in before you can use gel

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Regarding OpenOffice, you say,

"you have to register"... you don't have to!

Microsoft Office Starter you might have... it's not on all machines, though it is on many from the main builders.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

From what I had flashed on screen Microsoft Office Starter was only a trial for 6 months.

I have Open Office working fine now and it does everything I need, but it did say at the beginning that I had to register with Oracle before it would download, but anyway I've done all that and It's resolved Thanks to everyone for the interest in what I thought was a small problem.

It does seem mean of MS not to put a Word type program into 7, there was a comprehensive one in XP and the price for upgrading W7 is more than I paid for the whole full W7 CD's boxed program (£45 preorder Amazon.)

I suppose that's why W8 will soon be along as Microsoft needs nore income!

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

"It does seem mean of MS not to put a Word type program into 7"

There is one, "Wordpad", as mentioned by Ian in Northampton Same as there has been in previous versions of Windows... All Programs>Accessories>Wordpad

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...