We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS VisualC++2005. Installing problem

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am trying to install a freeware photo stitching programme, but it tells me that I need Microsoft Visual C ++ 2005 Redistributable Package. I tried this several times yesterday,but kept getting bonged out with the message ' this is not a valid Win.32 Application'. I have d/loaded it afresh in case it was corrupt, and now get past the agreement window but now the message comes up 'this is on a redistributable disk which I must insert'. Obviously I don't have it, but I see in Add/Remove there are five versions of VC 2008 and three of 2005. Is it safe to remove all these ( they all show used rarely) and retry installing. If it still says I need a disc, what then? Any help will be appreciated. I am XP Home SP3 32bit Thanks.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Use Microsoft's ICE instead - click here

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

The redistributable file should have come with the program. It contains the VC++ routines used by the program for users who don't have the full VC++ library installed.

Unless you know which programs the VC++ files in add/remove are used by, it's probably best to leave them. They will each contain a different subset of the full library, as required by the program they were distributed with.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Or maybe not - see this

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

It looks like the different versions are security updates. I never actually got that far with VC++, I just used to write programs for my own use, in fact I seldom finished them, I just used to compile them each time I wanted to use them. That's why I'm a bit sketchy on redistributables.

I still recommend ICE, you just drop your files into the window and it stitches them together perfectly.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

onionskin Many thanks. Will give that a try.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Just realised that is the d/load I am having trouble with.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Have you tried the help forum? link

It says - ICE requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable as well as version 4 of the .NET Framework. If either of these components are missing, the ICE installer will prompt you to download them from the internet.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

onionskin

Managed to do it. I didn't have net v.4 and after two fatal errors and the MS Fix It tool net 4 installed. ICE still asked for Visual C and this time all went OK. Thanks for your last link that helped. mp.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Tested it with a few quick photos and works very well. It eliminates the need to try and line up photos in he camera panorama mode which I find hard to see on the camera screen. Will resolve. Thanks again.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I have been trying to resolve this thread for a day or two. I click on the grey tick and sit and watch the screen for 10 mins while it is 'transferring data' and nothing happens. The site isn't slow for me today either.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data