We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot problem command line ?

geoff47

Likes # 0

I have a very old PC that I am playing about with, it had XP Professional on it, long story, but I had put Linux Unity (I think) on it, and was testing it to destruction, and it has destructed.

Now I have tried to load the OS again to sort things out, but when I put the CD in to re load the OS, I have to login and end up with a command line window. The only command that works for me is 'halt' to shutdown. I think I have deleted whatever opens the OS. I know that the PC is on its last legs, but I don't believe it's a mechanical problem, just my lack of knowledge. I understand from this point I could download the bits I am missing........not the correct terms I know, but can anyone help me out here ?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

What OS are you trying to install? Have you set boot order to CD first in bios?

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

sound like you may have remennants of the old o/s

try kill disk will totally wipe the drive and give you a clean install platform

kill disk http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

The problem is I cannot boot from a CD, what seems to happen is the cd starts up, whatever I load and then just hangs. I have tried the original CD and it gets so far then stalls, for instance it asks do you want to preview etc. etc. or install, whatever I choose, it kicks into action, I see the first images then everything stops. If no CD in the drive it boots into a DOS screen wanting command prompts, I have loaded things with random commands such sudo apt-get install etc.etc. but I dont know what I am doing.

I shall try again tomorrow with Nukem, think thats what its called, and get back to you all.

Many thanks so far.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have decided the HD is knackered. It only manages to boot to a boot CD randomly, and fails to boot to any Live CD what ever I do.

So I think I shall call it a day with this PC......unless somebody knows a miracle cure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings