We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Open Office: Problems

Spanish City

Likes # 0

Am unable to open "Open Office "documents saved as "Word" documents.

Also seem to have lost Open Office spread sheet module.

If I uninstall Open 3.2 and 3.3 and then download/ reinstall 3.3 will I lose existing documents.

Using Java 24.

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

Spanish City.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 1

No you won`t lose the documents. When you have downloaded and installed go to tools, options and expand the Load/Save in the left hand pane. Select General and at the bottom are two boxes, The left one will say text document. Drop the right hand box and scroll up to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP.

Similarly drop the left box to read spreadsheet and then change the right hand to Excel 97/2000/XP. Similarly for presentations.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest Open Office is a dead project since Oracle took it on, LibreOffice is the new one that has taken over.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Oh, forgot to mention, it's faster as well.

Like this post
Spanish City

Likes # 0

Many thanks octal, your response is a great help.

Wondered about Open Office/Oracle.

If move to Libre Office, will it read Open Office documents. Do you have to do anything special?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Libre Office is at the moment a break away or "Fork" as the community calls it and worth watching. At the moment Open Office remains my recommendation and it does everything most require of a MS Compatible suite. Although I am familiar with Libre Office on Ubuntu 10 most people in this forum who use Open Office will be able to assist you further. Libre Office Wikipedia

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Spanish City

Yes you can still open Open Office documents, I do also notice a lot of links on the Open Office site no longer work, make of that what you will.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback