We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Build Help? And Advice,

mrrob27

Likes # 0

Hello all this is my first post in this forum,

anyway after years of paying for over priced, pre built PC's im making the jump into the 'build your own' world and am after some help,

my pc will be used for gaming and various multi tasking.

first of all ive decided to use a AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, im unsure on which motherboard to use and which one my CPU will fit into it? will it fit into most? ive been looking at the ASUS M4A77T AMD 770/SB710 ATX Motherboard - AM3 Socket.

also ive been considering the cooler master centurion 5 ii, will the motherboard mentioned above fit into this? and what power supply will i need? power supply units have confused me the most :/

any criticisms, advice, help and anything else will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance Rob

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

ive pretty much got my components sorted, minus speakers and keyboards etc

but im having trouble deciding on my storage,

im undecided whether to go with 2tb hhd for everything, 1 hdd for os and one for files, or 1 sdd for os and 1 hdd for files?

is ssd worth the money, whats the real benefits

any advice would be apprecciated

thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The pros of having 2 500GB hard-drives as opposed to a single 1TB drive is that with the 2 smaller drives you can have one backing up the other so if one fails you will still have a copy of all your stuff, if the single drive goes tits up you might not be able to access it to get you personal folders etc.

Its a personal choice, entirely up to you.

Your ram is fine by the way,not sure what you mean by over-clocking,most over-clockers usually do the CPU not the RAM. I personally do not use cheap ram.For a few pound more you could buy this, RAM again its up to you, your choice does have a lifetime guarantee so its probably fine.

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

ah okay thanks very much, ill do at more research and once ive sorted out my harddrive im ready to go

and yeah that ram does look better i think il go for that, and i was told on another forum by a few people that, getting cheap ram prevents good overclocking so i was just going on that

anyway

thanks for all your help

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you have any problems,do not hesitate to ask.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED