We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why should I defrag?

Muergo

Likes # 0

Having used only a quarter of both of my 1TB drives, there is plenty of space for the forseeable future so what is the need for defragging or will it make the drive work better.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

This old thread of mine has sprung to life I know not why.

I took sunnystaines advice, as usual, and read the freeware site of jkdefrag which is very informative and says quite clearly at the end that it is free and if you paid for it you have been scammed, as is the case highlighted by buteman which leads to a "free" trial only.

I still have baulked at defragmenting my main drive but now it is making grinding noises and going slower on some files, so maybe that's the little arm rattling to and fro looking for fragments.

It's still under warranty and is fully backed up so I will give jkdefrag a go to see if it makes any difference. Iwonder if the backup copy on an external hard drive is also fragmented or does the process of Acronis backup automatically transfer the files across in a defragged state?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My understanding is that Acronis copies each file, rather than the disk on which it sits, so that it should all be in one place e.g. not fragmented.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

If your hard drive is making grinding noises best to do a health check with something like HDD sentinel. If it's on it's way out needs replacing quickly. If it's healthy then do a defrag and compress with possibly iobit Smart Defrag 2.0.1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert