We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No POST beeps, no Windows loading - nothing

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I have a problem with the above. I couldn't close an open email or Outlook, the screen just flicked into Standby. I couldn't shut down the normal way, via the Start button nor would Task Manager stay on the screen long enough for me to close the prgramme and I eventually turned off with the switch. I hadn't been doing anything beforehand either.

There is no POST, no beeps, a black screen, can't start in Safe mode and have the feeling it could be serious - can someone soothe my shattered nerves, please? It's XP, by the way.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Got to go out now, so won't be able to reply if anyone has any other suggestions. I may be going against the latest edict saying that over 65s should cut down on their drinking....

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

When ever I have used Acronis boot discs I have had to set the CD/DVD drive as the boot device in the bios

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds as if your BIOS is corrupted.

If you can get access to the internals, try the following:

Unplug from the Mains

Remove the BIOS battery (usually silver disk about 2.5 cm (1") round Have a look near the battery for a bios reset. This is normally a socket with 3 pins and a plug with 2 pins.

Normally the active set is pins 1 & 2 (Normal BIOS) and the reset is pins 2 & 3.

If you can find it move the plug to the reset position, leave a few seconds and put back to normal (pins 1 & 2)

Plug the computer back inand switch on-- If you are lucky your bios will be reset to the defaults and your machine will start.

If you cannot find the plug (or do not want to mess with the wiring), leave the battery out and unplugged for 24 hours.

Warning. When you are working with an open computer earth the frame (touch the frame and a metal earth (if possible) and wear an antistatic wrist strap, to prevent damage to the electronics.

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say you need a new PSU Power Supply. Inside the Case if its a Desktop top Back a box with loads of wire coming from it. Plugs are all shaped to fit different hardware and PSU should just be held in place by four screws round the Fan at the top back of box. easy way to change is put the new PSU in the bottom of case then change plugs one by one, test before changing the new for the old one, Do not forget when you try it you need to put the Mains Plug out of the Old one into the back of the new one

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

Size in "Watts" is marked on the Old PSU new one should be at least as big in Watts more is better

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its nothing to do with the BIOS sorry, it's the PSU that needs a new one, from PC world or a PC shop a Heavy one is better components in it than a light one

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks all - when I was out last, a couple of people also came down on the side of the PSU. MY other half is going to try it with a borrowed one later. This one has only been in since the end of January, so I'll get it replaced.

Hopefully I'll be up and runnng again soon, but thank heaven's for laptops!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yep but they are not easy and are expensive to mend, not a normal DIY job

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Problem solved! My other half took the back off, looked at it, pulled out the power plug from the back of the PC, waited, then - all ok now. It had set the clock to 1 Jan 2008 - is this symptomatic of anything?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'd get something, that either blows or sucks, and give the PSU a blast through.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...