We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC with Microsoft Windows 7 and the choice of 32 or 64 bit?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Before someone tells me I've posted this in the wrong forum, I tried to post it a dozen time - no exageration! - in 'Consumerwatch' but without any luck.

As the title states 'New PC with Microsoft Windows 7 and the choice of 32 or 64 bit?' at no extra cost.

Which one is better or to put it another way, what's the difference?

My question relates to a theory I have regarding software not running on a later OS. Even if you use the 'Compatibility Mode'. Sometimes, some people have a good result, yet others don't. Even though, to all intents and purposes they are using the same hard and software? I myself, not knowing much about 32 and or 64 bit. Wonders if there could be a connection, such as...

Perhaps it is possible to run software designed to run on WinXP 32bit and also Win7 32bit in compatibility mode. But NOT on be able to run WinXP 32bit on Win7 64bit, even with compatibility mode?.

This makes sense to me, but as I've already said they're just numbers to me?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have had no problems on a 4 year old PC with w 64 bit. Only a few programmes need 64 bit but if ever you want a bit more RAM you need it. 32 bit programmes run fine on it; they are filed in C:/Programme files(x86). I have not needed to take special measures- I ran a dual boot XP / W7 for a while but soon dumped XP.I have found that with Photoshop CS5 it installs in 32 and 64 bit, and I have to use the 32 bit version for scanning in TWAIN as there are no 64 bit drivers for it (I have two Canon scanners, a MP640 and a Canonscan 8800F.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Thanks to buteman's throwaway line, I have just realised why Revo doesn't list all installed apps (not 64bit ones).

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

From what I've gleaned about 32 and 64 bit on here and wider searches. I've more or less made my mind up. I'm leaning toward a duel OS system. With Windows 7 32 bit as a straight install and WinXP as a Virtual install. All I have to do now is find out how to do the virtual bit.

I believe the first thing I have to do is make a 'Virtual Hard Drive' - 'VHD'. Then install WinXP to it. youTube have instruction videos, till you realise that they're all kids. Which means that although they obviously know how to do it, it doesn't mean that they're any good at telling anyone else. What with mumbling, coughing, loud background music and whipping about the screen at breakneck speed. I think I'll have to look for a non animated tutorial, that I can print out and study at my leisure.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For Win7 home premium then XP installed in a virtual drive, link

I dual booted for a while but eventually got rid of XP. Old hat.

Running 7 in 32bit on PC and 64 bit on laptop. Only problem so far is that PCA forums wouldn't run in IE9 64 bit. Sorted by disabling JavaScript.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13

"I dual booted for a while but eventually got rid of XP. Old hat"

My trouble is I have programmes that i run on WinXP for my business. They won't run on Win7. I'm getting a new PC that includes Win7. So my solution is as i've said.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For any version of 7 above home premium you can run XP in virtual mode. Otherwise as my above post. You will need your XP disc, though, if Win 7 Home Premium.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thank for that, now that I've found your 'link', it's a bit feint and I'm colour blind. Not too good at the best of times, but it's a lot worse, if like me you're a graphic artist! Mind you it could be lucrative, I remember some guy doing a painting of an Asian woman and he did her skin blue. I don't know wether or not it was intentional, but he made a lot of loot from selling prints.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

My apologies. Never thought of a link being feint. The old 'click here' was more noticeable so in future I'll type in upper case. Not the first time my links have been missed. Wonder if I can make them bold as well as being links?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

"Wonder if I can make them bold as well as being links?"

Yes you can, give it a try here, post the link again in caps and bold. G1 :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad