We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox 5 just downloaded and installed

Chas49

Likes # 0

Previous browser was Firefox 4

Now, having installled v5 I find that it doesn't load when the icon is clicked - or doesn't appear to be.

Loaded and ran IE8 - when my homepage appeared I clicked on an item and Firebox then fired up. I hve run this several times with the same result. Finally I decided to stick with IE and uninstalled Firefox.

But why would this strange behaviour exist in the first place as I have never had problems with Firefox before - through most of the versions.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Apparently you are not the only one having problems, Link

I then tried it and had a similar problem. I have reverted back to FF4.01

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

same here ff5 ok in windows 7

but will not work in XP clicking on the icon the hour glass goes off after a few seconds and nothing on the screen, task manager shows firefox.exe running but the screen shows no trace of firefox.

several complete uninstalls including all folders and reg entries and fresh downloads no joy.

wondering if they are following ie9 by making it not compatable with xp

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have stuck with 3.6 for ages. Finally bit the bullet yesterday and went straight for 5.0.

I could not get all add-ons working, even with compatibility checker off, and some other small issues. So I went for 4.0.1 instead.

Lots of problems. Went back to 3.6 in a bad mood.

Then thought 'I'll just have one last go and try 5.0 Beta 7'

Amazingly it all went fine, and I easily tweaked it to look as I want and am finally happy.

(except for Aero effect behind menu bar etc. I'll see if I can get rid of that later)

Filehippo Firefox Download Page

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

W7 for me btw

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It's only the BETA version so no doubt there will be teething problems. I think I will wait or alternatively give it a go on Virtual PC.

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

Like Rawprawn I have reverted to V4.01. Earlier, in addition to the getting a non working Firefox v5 and the subsequent uninstalling of it. I then had a problem with Word 2007. This was resolved by installing v4.01 as suggested by fellow member Woolwell.

I will, for a time at least, resist the urge to upgrade to v5!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not a beta version anymore. I have a number of add-ons that no longer work and as a result my interface looks a bit like Chrome.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looks like XP users are waiting for ver 5.01 with the fix to come out. could drive many back to IE or Chrome

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I thought it was a bit sneaky of Firefox. I have 4 and am happy with it. I had no intention of getting 5, no need.

This morning I got a pop up saying important update for FF, recommending I download it immediately. Thinking it was some sort of security thing, I did as I was bid. when it came back on it said thanx for installing FF5. It then informed me that it would have to get rid of my only add on, 'DAP' because it wasn't compatible.

I didn't want 5 in the first place, now I have and am worse off. One step forward and two steps back. Think I'll see if I can unstall it and go back to 4.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm glad I found this thread, I'll stick with FF3.6 for my XP pcs and FF4 on my W7, certainly can't do with hassle at the moment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger