We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Playing Ogg Vorbis streams

Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Hi,

Clicking the Ogg Vorbis streams on the Radio Paradise site (http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=Listen) opens a download dialogue box but not my media player. All the other links open my player fine. My browser's settings look ok and are pointing to the system default player. I'm stuck.

Browser: Opera Media player: VLC OS: Vista

Help!

Rob.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seems to be an Opera snag. I got the same problem as you with Opera but it works with Firefox.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I have just tried it and it didn't work in Opera to start with, what I had to do was to go to Settings>Preferences and associate the OGG stream to open VLC, it works fine now.

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Hi octal,

How did you do that exactly? I've pointed both audio/ogg and application/ogg at VLC but still get the download dialogue. Can't see a streaming MIME for ogg. Am I missing something?

Rob.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Here is a screen shot of how mine is set up, it is the Linux version of Opera, but the setup should be the same.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Just one thing, have you ticked the box to pass the web address directly to the application?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I finally got it working with Opera. You have to tick the box hide file types opened with Opera to find application/ogg. You can then click on edit and choose which program to open with by browsing and octal's point about ticking the box about the web address is important.

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

I now have it working.

One thing different with mine was that it didn't have the ogg extension in the file extension window, just ogx.

Again, thanks both.

Rob.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...