We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I have a virus..??

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I normally use Firefox as my browser. A while ago I surfed in Chrome (which i sometimes do). On some site or other the screen started warning me that my pc was indected and listed several viruses etc. It wanted me to download a programme to clean the computer. Obviously it was false, but the screen looked very impressive.

Anyway, Microsoft Security Essentials then popped up teling me it had detected something (cant remember the wording). I clicked OK to clean it, and shortly after it said it had removed it. But the tab was still open and I couldnt close it; it just kept giving me the warning and urging me not to close in the middle of a download !!!

Eventually I closed the page through Task Manager "end task", it had to force it. I then went back to Firefox, and then to Chrome again and all seems to be well. But is it? Have I caught it in time I wonder? A quick scan with MSE showed nothing.

thanks

h

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Probably not. I`ve come across several similar experiences from friends who have phoned me in a panic. There are websites out there that do this and it looks similar to a real attack on the machine. In reality the webpage is trying to legitimately (Or otherwise) get you to try a piece of AV software or malware remover but the script on the page is so similar to something malevolent that your own security software kicks in to disable it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just to be in the safe side give this a try.

To remove false security programs

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced start up options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer go to Google.com ,download Hitman Pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman Pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes