We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Turntable won't talk to computer via USB

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I have a little device called an EZCap, which enables the phono connectors from my turntable (via a small pre-amp) to be connected to a USB port on my Windows 7 laptop. SIW lists my sound card as NVidia High Definition Audio - which I guess means it's on-board.

Using this method, together with software called Audio Cleaning Lab, I have successfully digitised many of my old LPs.

Yesterday I tried to set a friend up to do the same thing. He has a turntable connected to a Rotel amplifier (both about 20 years old but good quality).

I downloaded Audacity on to his computer. I assumed that his amp would incorporate a built-in pre-amp, so I connected the EZCap to the Tape1 output phonos on his amplifier and plugged it into a USB port on his Windows XP computer. I'm afraid I don't know what his sound card is, but the laptop is a Toshiba - about 7 years old.

Nothing I did would get Audacity to recognise a signal from the amplifier. I tried every permutation of recording and playback device options within the computer - everything just showed a flat line on the recording meters.

I tried different output phonos on the amp Tape1, Tape2, Aux, Phono, including an additional one called "Pre Out" which I guessed to be a direct output from the inbuilt pre-amplifier. None of them would get any response.

I tried connecting up my own laptop instead of his and running Audacity on it. Same result - no movement whatsoever on the meters.

I should add that his turntable setup works fine with speakers connected to the Rotel amp.

Any ideas on how to get his setup working, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought that EZcap was a video grabber.

If it will not work with both laptops then suggest you need to investigate the output. Which model Rotel?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers