We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recommend a basic html/mht editor to remove content?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I need a webpage html editor that I can easily remove items from. I would like it to be able to open mht files. I have tried Kompozer so far, but it often "cannot open webpage for unknown reason", possibly due to using certain content eg frames - so can anyone recommend something with far better compatibility? I dont need anything too advanced, as im only needing it at present to highlight and remove images and text (eg adverts) on saved pages in order to save paper as I print each website. Thanks for any help :)

Like this post
adam32

Likes # 0

That started off (I think) as a request for a text/code editor or IDE, but ended up being about the common problem of websites that lack print CSS.

To fix the omissions of lazy designers, you would be better off using a bookmarklet (such as Printliminator), a browser add-on (such as Aardvark for Firefox), or possibly custom user CSS (for those browsers that support this feature). Either of the first two options are your best and most convenient solution.

http://css-tricks.com/examples/ThePrintliminator/

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I eventually managed to reduce/delete unwanted material by before printing by adding my saved webpage into microsoft office (2007). Not the perfect way to do it perhaps, but I got what I needed in the end-although not everything seemed to be editable.

Thanks for the replies, I will try those methods in future :)

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

If you like simplified pages, worth looking Readability

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...