We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 and WinXP Puzzle

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I'm getting a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed. My present Pc is WinXP. I have done a compatibility check and discovered that my main programmes won't run on Win7. I know I could have a duel boot PC, but once booted to whatever drive, I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to interact with the other?

If I'm correct in my assumption, I would be forever having to re-boot to access the other drive.

Could I put the XP drive in, - as a slave - with its programmes pre-installed. Then after I boot into Win7, would I be able to dip into the XP drive and run the programmes there?

I think probably not, if not could I run them from a USB memory stick?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What programs are you speaking about ,I have Windows 7 64 Bit and have not come across a program that did not work.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows & has a XP compatibility mode the program will probably run under that

What exactly is the program.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Gengis

I ran a compatibility check with Microsoft, thinking that there might be a problem between 32 and 64 bit, I wasn't thinking about 7 itself. I only looked at the following programmes, as I use these more than any other...

Microsoft Picture It! early version and version 10. Also a music mixing software Acid Studio. I stopped looking when I saw these wouldn't work with Windows 7.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

MS Picture further info

Acid (Music?) Studio may be compatible depending on version, or use the above compatibility tricks.

Search results

Long term solution is to find newer alternatives, software doesn't last forever. A good Freeware site is here

eg old Nero software doesn't work under W7 and they recommend to pay for upgrade. Or use free Ashampoo. There's always a way round.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've just had another look, I have many programmes that I can't find in the compatibility list. Possibly because Microsoft only lists those that are registered with them.

Ejay isn't listed and I have a suite of their software, all on different CDs.

The following are just a few of the freeware, Giveaway of the Day or other software, that will probably slip under the Microspft radar...

GIMP

Wacom Volito (must have)

ACDSee Photo Editor

Art Rage

Portrait Professional

Art Weaver

Audio recorder Titanium

CD Burner XP

Livebrush

Cyber Power Audio Editing Lab

Dark wave Studio

Faststone

Photo converter

Gold wave Editor Pro

Gold Audio Suite

Inkscape

Photoscape

etc, etc, as yet though I haven't looked for any of these. But if Fruit Bat /\0/\is correct and there is an XP compatibility mode, then I should have nothing to worry about. Except maybe, for two things...

(1) What the users say...

Not able to run Microsoft Picture It!

"I had 'Microsoft Picture It! installed in my old computer and I loved the program. I recently bought a new computer which has windows 7. I installed my old program, but it doesn't work."

"Is Microsoft planning to produce a software program like "Picture It" that will work with Windows 7, and or make a patch for Picture It 2002 so it will work with Windows 7?"

"I have been using Microsoft Picture It for years to design tons of graphics for my business and now I have purchased a new pc loaded with Windows 7 and guess what, Picture doesn't work anymore"

(2) Does it make any difference if 7 is 32 or 64 bit?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

I followed your link and this may be the answer...

"If you run Windows 7 Home Premium, try VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) or VMware Player (www.vmware.com) or any other 3rd party virtualization software and install a separate copy of Windows XP (either Home Edition or Professional) for that purpose. You can find virtualization software free of charge that will run on Windows 7 Home Premium."

I have recently been running a few small programmes off of a memory stick using a freeware called 'Cameyo' virtualization software. Brilliant it is too, although I wasn't aware that I could run an OS in the same way.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Cameyo does look good, I'll have a go sometime with that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia