We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Inspiron 530 format and reinstall

Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

I have Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista. I want to format and reinstall but the return to Factory Settings option has become corrupted. I have all original discs. Dell won't help unless I pay for software advice. I have looked at the drivers and utilities but there seem to be forty or fifty driverfs in a zip files. How do I find what drivers I will need after reinstalling the system?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

In the collection of Dell Discs is there one labelled as the operating system or recovery disc?

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Yes - Operating System and also External Recovery; the third is Drivers and Utilities

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

First of all back up all your data to an external drive!

Put the recovery disc into the computer CD drive and reboot from the disc. You may have to get the boot options screen first to do this or enter the BIOS to change the boot order. Once it boots from the DVD you should get the options to restore to factory defaults.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

And will this work even if the Section on the computer (D drive) is corrupt? I have my backup running continuously so that is not a problem but I would be lost if I cannot get my computer up and running again

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

When you say the D drive I'm not sure what you mean. If the hidden partition, which isn't usually labelled, is corrupt and you can see a D drive then it`s probably a partition of your HDD. Right click it and you should see the size.

The recovery disc supplied by Dell will return it to factory defaults and then the Driver disc will give us any missing drivers and applications but you will have to reload any other programs you use like Office for example.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

The D Drive is partition of C Drive, 9.99 gigabytes. It contains file called Dell containing factory image. I clicked on this and it seems that this will indeed restore to Factory conditions. Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Unhappily this is not the answer. PC Recovery on D Partition is corrupted so that is no use

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Format and reinstall from the Operating System Disk

For any drivers that are missing - click update driver and click on Install from specific location and browse to the CD drive.

With the drivers disk in the drive windows will search the drive for the required driver.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your help.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I had to pop out!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do