We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring programs etc to new computer

GeoffR

Likes # 0

My computer has become very slow and as it is a few years old I am thinking of buying a new one. I have several applications on the existing computer, e.g. Quicken,bank accounts etc, with associated data files. How do I transfer these to a new computer ? I also have Windows XP, with which I am quite happy - can I transfer that or should I use the operating system supplied with the new computer.

I shoul appreciate advice

Geoff Richards

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

They most likely will not work on Windows 7, ans as the pc is completely different hardware cloning or imaging will not work for it

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Data files are very easy to transfer to a new system. Programs will almost certainly need to be installed on the new system from the original CD, the only exception being .exe files that run as stand alone programs. Whether your programs will be compatible with Win 7 is another matter, you may need to upgrade to later versions, try them and see is the only real advice I can give. As for using XP on a new machine there are several hurdles to jump. Is it a retail copy or O.E.M. as O.E.M. dies with the machine it was originally installed on. Are there drivers available to allow you to install XP on the new machine, that could be the real killer.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

To transfer data etc, use the easy transfer system that is built into W7. You will need to download an easy transfer file to the XP machine. I've just taken possesion of a W7 PC and am very happy with it, so would suggest you try it and see.

Transfer Guide

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...