We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My mouse keeps freezing

charlton200

Likes # 0

My mouse keeps freezing- how do I fix it please?

After a short use of maybe a few minutes the mouse jutters and then freezes.

Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If it is a Pet-mouse, put it to bed with a paracetamol. If it is a Wired mouse with a Ball, it could simply need cleaning. If it is a Cordless mouse, it could need a new battery. If it is a PS2 mouse, it could be a faulty cable. If it is a USB mouse, the USB Port might need attention, or the cable might be faulty.

It might help if we had a bit more detail - like, Type of mouse and make and Model! OS type, might also be helpful.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

Hi, One thing I have just found out is that is works ok on my wife's account but not on my one (she very rarely used the computer). So it looks like it just happening my side. It is a mest usb longitech mouse and infra red underneath (no ball). My compueter is a mesh, windows xp, sp3, 3.2 processor, 2GB ram. And the pet mouse is ok- no headache: only I have one.

Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, have you tried running a scan(s) with your AntiVirus and AntiMalware programs, one never knows? Also does it happen all the time, or just with certain programs? I was going to suggest new Battery, but as it is OK with your wife's account, that would seem to rule out the battery. Logitech Meeses are usually very reliable.

Anyway, I am glad your pet mouse is fine!

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

It happens all the time, ever two or 3 minutes, making the use from my side impossible. I have done a Virus scan and I do regular maleware scans. The program on one on when this first happened was when I was on you tube watching a video. Now, it does it on everything.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

It happens all the time, ever two or 3 minutes, making the use from my side impossible. I have done a Virus scan and I do regular maleware scans. The program on one on when this first happened was when I was on you tube watching a video. Now, it does it on everything.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you got another mouse to try?

Are you both using the mouse on the same surface?

Have you tried re-setting your Account?

Clutching at straws now, as I can't think of anything else to suggest, at the moment anyway.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

Thanks for trying to help, anyway.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Under the circumstances, I still think the most likely cause is a 'Nasty', possibly picked up from Utube. I would run scans again, particularly Malwarebytes!

As a last resort - System Restore back to before this started.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?