We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft problem

geoff47

Likes # 0

I bought an old PC some time ago that has been used in my small shop as a Point of Sale, scanning and retrieving prices etc. It has never been connected to the internet until today. I wanted to install a video CCTV system on it, and needed to install NET Framework for it to work, so I connected to the internet and went for an update when prompted. As soon as this was installed the browser opened and informed me the XP was counterfeit.

How do I stand with this ?

The PC was bought in good faith as an old system.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Good faith means nothing, it was your responsibility to ensure it was a genuine copy.

You will need to buy a genuine version to be able to carry on as you intend.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

No harm in giving Microsoft a call to ask there opinion. If in UK, telephone 0844 800 2400.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have just discovered the number I gave online (on a sticker on side of PC) is different from the number I recovered using Fey Finder.

I shall give that number a call thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Change KEY

Changing the Windows XP product key may be necessary if you discover your current key is pirated or illegal but you don't want to reinstall Windows XP to activate your new legal key.

Changes to the registry are made in these steps. Take great care in making only the changes described below.

1. Click on Start and then Run.
  2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.
  3. Locate the HKEYLOCALMACHINE folder under My Computer and click on the (+) sign next the folder name to expand the folder.
  4. Continue to expand folders until you reach the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents registry key.
  5. Click on the WPAEvents folder.
  6. In the results that appear in the window on the right, locate OOBETimer.
  7. Right-click on the OOBETimer entry and choose Modify from the resulting menu.
  8. Change at least one digit in the Value data text box and click OK. This will deactivate Windows XP.
  9. Click on Start and then Run.
  10. In the text box in the Run window, type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

1. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows and then click Next.
  2. Click Change Product Key.
  3. Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.
  4. If you're taken back to the previous screen and prompted, choose Remind me later.
  5. Restart your PC.
Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Key Finder is now showing the changed product key. I have tried the telephone number but it is out of hours, they only work 5 days a week although they will take payment to upgrade online in dollars 24 hours a day.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The COA sticker on the side of the computer will give you the proper keycode and will tell you what version of Windows it is for.

If it is a different version than what you are using just now you could reformat your computer using the same windows disc that is on the Coa sticker.

Make sure it is the Windows sticker that is on the computer and not a sticker for Microsoft Office.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

The sticker is for XP Home,the version on the PC is XP Professional according to Key Finder. Can I install from my own original version of XP Professional but use the number found by Key Finder that is XP Professional that I have managed to change thanks to Fruit Bat.

Let me go through that for my self again......

The COA sticker is for XP Home, the PC said it had XP Professional installed, so MS decided it was a pirate version. So if I match the code to a legitimate XP Disc of XP Professional , will that do the trick ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

XP Home Coa sticker means you have to install XP Home and you would not be able to use it for XP professional.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

As long as the disc you have is the same version(ie OEM or retail) as the key that keyfinder found

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Key Finder will NOT find any OEM keys. OK for retail but I'm afraid you'll need to borrow a Home version OEM disc and I guess an SP2 one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...