We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two questions of stupidity

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have committed a stupid somehow and, as a result, the backup I should be doing I daren’t do until I get this cleared up. I don’t really know what I did, which isn’t helping either, but I have Windows Explorer just showing the Libraries, not all the partitions, folders etc which I had this morning. I have spent over 2 hours trying to get back to what I had before and I do not want to use a restore due to the enormous problems last time, plus of course will be re-installing all the updates. I know there is a possibility that this just needs something simple done but I am close to pulling my hair out and would be very grateful if someone could tell me what I have done ( unlikely I know, but I may as well ask in case someone can tell me so, hopefully, I will not do it in future ) and what I need to do to get back to what I consider is my “normal” Explorer layout. I have gone through “Control Panel” and other things trying to get back to what I assumed was the “Default” but, obviously, nothing has worked.

The second problem concerns start up. I tried various programmes to see what I thought of them, and one of these was from Auslogics. I didn’t really like it so I deleted it. Well I thought I had! I have gone through what I assumed was the start up and deleted what I didn’t want but every boot up a box appears on the screen saying that genie-soft can not find a file. I can not find where this is and would be grateful if someone can tell me how I get rid of this. I accept that it’s just a very, very small inconvenience but I would like to not have to bother with it.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help/information/advice from anyone.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

You could install the Genie-Soft program again and then run the uninstaller from Control Panel, Programs and Features. If you deleted it previously rather than uninstalling it it can leave some entries behind.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go to run type Regedit click Enter, Click on My Computer, go to menu Edit/Find type Genie-Soft press enter key delete what it finds, then press F3 do this till you get to the end of regedit

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

woodchip

Many thanks for your reply. I typed Regedit into the Start box, then ignored My Computer - as it is on my Desktop - and then went to edit/file, typed and found only one entry of Genie-Soft, which I deleted and then re-booted my machine. No change! So, I am Spartacus, I thank you for your idea and I will try it tomorrow morning, and will then report back! As I said this is getting so close to hair-pulling time!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No in regedit there is a computer top left you need to click on that so it starts to look from there, or it will start looking lower down the tree

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You have looked in the Services Tab in msconfig have you, not the Startup Tab and ticked the box there to hide all microsoft services to see if an orphaned service is running after an uninstall of a program?

Worth remembering sometimes these things aren't under the obvious name ie genie-soft, so check out online search and account for all non ms services shown as Running.

Also have a look in Prefetch folder, how to access explained here, I'm not suggesting you delete any pf files incidentally, but maybe genie-soft running, hopefully under its own name as a pf file at startup.

link text

Then look in Scheduled Tasks to see what's showing in there

link text

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, Everyone!

I have been working on this ( sort of, anyway ) for most of today! I have run full scans for Malwarebytes and then Superantispyware, and got rid of everything they suggested. having to re-boot wasn't always 'helpful' shall I say and I had resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't worth spending the amount of time I had - never mind all you kind people - on it. For reasons I do not understand fully as to what or why I was doing it, I looked in Control Panel/Programmes and Features and saw 'File Access Manager ( remove only )', with no publisher, a date but no size or version. I had noticed it some time ago but had never connected what happened at boot up with it. can I just uninstall ( if I can ) or delete it? Can anyone think of any ramifications that might happen, apart from me regaining my sanity that is??????

Many thanks to everyone for all your help and my apologies for wasting your time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...