We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two questions of stupidity

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have committed a stupid somehow and, as a result, the backup I should be doing I daren’t do until I get this cleared up. I don’t really know what I did, which isn’t helping either, but I have Windows Explorer just showing the Libraries, not all the partitions, folders etc which I had this morning. I have spent over 2 hours trying to get back to what I had before and I do not want to use a restore due to the enormous problems last time, plus of course will be re-installing all the updates. I know there is a possibility that this just needs something simple done but I am close to pulling my hair out and would be very grateful if someone could tell me what I have done ( unlikely I know, but I may as well ask in case someone can tell me so, hopefully, I will not do it in future ) and what I need to do to get back to what I consider is my “normal” Explorer layout. I have gone through “Control Panel” and other things trying to get back to what I assumed was the “Default” but, obviously, nothing has worked.

The second problem concerns start up. I tried various programmes to see what I thought of them, and one of these was from Auslogics. I didn’t really like it so I deleted it. Well I thought I had! I have gone through what I assumed was the start up and deleted what I didn’t want but every boot up a box appears on the screen saying that genie-soft can not find a file. I can not find where this is and would be grateful if someone can tell me how I get rid of this. I accept that it’s just a very, very small inconvenience but I would like to not have to bother with it.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help/information/advice from anyone.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

First question, don't know what operating system you have, but is it something to do with the folder button

link text

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Second question, Genie-soft is your backup software?

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Les28

Thanks for your speedy reply! My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit and NO genie-soft is not my back up software. Both pieces of information I should have have included - many apologies, it's just me going brain dead!

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Meant to ask which Auslogics program you installed and later removed, Disk Defragger, Speed Booster, or Registry Cleaner?

If it's a Reg Cleaner, they usually leave a reg file to restore the reg back again, often in the Programs folder in C drive of the program concerned, usually left behind after an uninstall, or sometimes in a folder the program will create in (My) Documents.

Anything showing in Windows Event Viewer that will give some more detail on what's happening at startup?

You've had a look in msconfig Startup tab, have you also had a look in msconfig Services Tab and put a tick in box there to hide all ms services and see what non ms services are running, in case any left over service from the uninstall.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

In Explorer click the Organise button and select Layout then put a tick next to Navigation pane.

For your second problem click the Start orb, enter 'Run' the search box and select 'run' from the options that appear. Type msconfig in the box and click OK. Select the 'Startup' tab and remove the tick for anything to do with Genie-Soft and reboot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Q1 see here

Q2 From a run box type 'msconfig' and select the Startup Tab. You can uncheck the applications you wish to stop from loading with windows i.e genie-soft

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

Gentlemen, many thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in replying, but Rory was calling last night!!!

Anyway thank you ‘I am Spartacus’ I have got Explorer back, and this was a great, and very satisfying, tip!

However, I have gone through msconfig to get to start up and there are no entries for either Auslogics or Genie-soft, so I have absolutely no ideas about where further to look. As I said I have got Explorer back, so I typed in “*.reg” and 154 objects were found. I was amazed that I recognised some programmes that I had got rid of – or so I thought – many, many moons ago! None of the entries concerned Auslogics or Genie-Soft but it was a very interesting exercise and I hope someone may be able to say whether or not some of these entries can be got ris of; for instance whilst many of the entries were for less than 20KB there were two files I happened to notice that were far larger – one was more than 11MB and the other in excess of 57MB!

Anyway going back to my main problem, if anyone has an idea of how I can get rid of these I would be very grateful!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

AS I have said before I am brain-dead!! Re-booted my machine in order to write information down to supply to you kind people, then I forgot it!!

What comes up at the start is a dialogue box labelled "Genie-Soft File Access Manager" with the comment inside it "Failed to access File Access Manager device"! As I have never had any sort of device attached to my computer from them this I find thoroughly confusing!! Any help/information/advice very gratefully received!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CCleaner download and run the cleaner

then click on Registry and Scan for issues when the scan finishes click Fix All issues do this a few times until it stops finding any issues.

next use the Tools - Startup - see what it lists in there.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for your reply. I have had ccleaner for some time, but always ran it just the once. I thought that you must be wrong to say use it more than once, but wow! I ran it and clicked Fix All, then ran it again and after the first's time I thought that that was it. But no, two came up on second run, so clicked Fix All and re-booted. Exactly the same comment in Genie-Soft box!!! This is driving me mad! When I click on close it disappears and I am certain that it is doing nothing but to a large extent I don't care I just want rid of it, so if you - or anyone else - has any idea(s) then I will gratefully receive any comments!!

many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...