We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Applications will not open

williamj

Likes # 0

When I try to open e.g. AVG, Malaware Bytes and even System Restore I get referred to Adobe and asked to select the program to open the application, but making a selection has no effect on the shortcut. Quite a lot of "Programs" are shown as folders on the "Programs" list not the normal icon for the program as was normally the situation. In "Control Panel" if I select e.g. 'Security Centre' I get C:\Windows\ system32\rundell32.exe "Application not found" Any suggestions as to why only some programs are effected, and not others?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

No suggestion but have you tried a System Restore to a time before you had the problem?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You don't mention the Operating System but have you tried the system file checker? Check on a search engine as how to run it for your particular OS. Sounds as you have malware or a virus.

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

rdave13, You were right I had a Malaware infection, I was able to run both AVG and Malawarebytes using Administrator on Windows Visa. AVG showed MALAWARE - NLU.EXE and it was sent Virus vault. Malawarebytes detected 2 Threats. Hijack.ExeFile and Broken.OpenCo These 2 were quarantined. All programes now running as normal. New Restore Point created when system working normally.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...