We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems With Upgrade

ZeroBreakerS

Likes # 0

Hi, Recently, I upgraded my motherboard, RAM, CPU and Graphics card in my ageing emachines E4040 PC. I bought an ASRock N68C-S UCC Motherboard, some Crucial DDR3 RAM, an AMD Athlon II X3 450 and a Saphire Radeon 5670. I am new to builds, but certainly not to theory and software, so I figured everything would go without a hitch, but when i was building, i saw that my 300w power supply had a 20 pin connector and my motherboard had a 24 pin connector, and connected it without worrying. i checked all the cables were in before booting, but no image came up on the monitor. thinking it may have been a graphics fault, i took out the graphics card and used the internal graphics. this too failed to show an image on the screen. is it the motherboard, or the PSU? i would like some help please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Correct CPU for motherboard? AM3 CPU

Motherboard review "Even though this motherboard supports DDR3 memories, it isn’t a socket AM3 motherboard, but a socket AM2+ one. The difference between the two is the presence of a separate voltage line for the CPU embedded memory controller on socket AM3 models, a feature not available on this motherboard."

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

CPU Support List for your motherboard shows that your processor is supported. It looks as if the board has both DDR3 and DDR2 slots, are you sure that they are in the correct place and correctly seated? You cannot mix them. There is a 24pin power connector and a separate 4pin conncector, are you sure that the 4 pin one is connected?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Why don't you buy a []20 to 24 pin adapter1

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post
ZeroBreakerS

Likes # 0

The thing is, in my motherboard manual it states it can accept a 20 pin connector, and the problem persists with both integrated graphics and graphics powered by the PCI-E slot. I have double and Triple checked the wires are all plugged in correctly, the RAM is correctly configured and the only abnormality in my system is an IDE to SATA motherboard connector, which is attached to my DVD Drive.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, should i replace the motherboard? or is the PSU's fault? Or is it something i haven't thought of?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Are the integrated graphics turn on in the bios?

Like this post
ZeroBreakerS

Likes # 0

Can't access the BIOS, as nothing show up. the fans spin, the Power LED show, and thats about all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September