We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network drive on the sony bravia

starlored

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a sony Bravia TV (KDL32EX403U). On my router there is a USB Port that I can connect a hard drive to so I can view content across my network, I have a drive connected that I can view on my PC, what I would like to do is view the same drive on my TV, is this possible and if so how do I set it up.

Currently I can view my PC on my TV but not my connected hard drive

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What is on the hard drive that you would want to see on the TV? A TV has no operating system and no application software, so it cannot open any files. All it can do is display data that is sent to it from an external source.

Like this post
starlored

Likes # 0

Well not to contridict you but the tv is supposed to be DLNA enabled which means I can stream media (Movies etc) to it over my network. This works fine with content on my PC, but this is not pratical as I dont want the PC on all the time. It should be possible to Stream media from the usb drive on my router to my TV.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I have to agree with the FE here.

As your PC acts as a Digital Media Server (DMS) your TV Digital Media Player (DMP) can find and display it's contents stored on its Hard Drives.

As the USB drive is connected to your router. assumeunme its a BT Home Hub) the Hard Drive cannot stream its contents to your TV as it is not a DMS. Its just a Hard Drive acting as Network Storage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...