We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 uninstall

sking65

Likes # 0

Hi. If a PC comes with windows 7 can you uninstall windows 7 and install Windows XP on the pc instead? It is windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and i would want to put XP home 32 bit on the pc. I have read all about the VMware and using it to have XP running inside windows 7 and would do that if i had to but i would rather just have one OS on the PC.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you have a retail version of XP just alter the boot sequence in the bios to CD and boot with you XP in the optical drive. Make sure you have backed up your personal folders. Uninstall 7

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Before you do anything you need to check whether there are XP drivers available for the motherboard. Remember also that going back to a 32bit OS will restrict you to only being able to use about 3.5Gb of ram.

Like this post
sking65

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. The motherboard is a FOXCONN 2A8C. I have searched a bit to see if i can find out about the XP drivers but don't know whether there are none available or if i have looked in the wrong place. I'm not that PC savvy that i always know exactly what i am doing and i don't want to mess up the PC.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Search for your Foxconn drivers here link text

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Having trouble finding your motherboard,what is the make /model of PC?

Like this post
sking65

Likes # 0

I found this site earlier. I am using CPU-Z to give me the info on my pc but in the 'search by model' column in the 3rd box down 'Model' there is no number that i can see in the drop down that is relevant to anything i can see in the CPU-Z breakdown of the pc specs.

Like this post
sking65

Likes # 0

Make is HP. Model number is G5330uk. Product number is XS610EA#ABU.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

There does not seem to be any XP drivers which will probably cause you problems.Drivers

Like this post
sking65

Likes # 0

As i was suspecting. Thanks very much for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers