We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Battling to Fix my friends Dell Vista laptop!!!

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to you all. I've been trying to sort out my friends laptop for her, as it no longer boots into the windows desktop screen.I'm using a vista recovery disk, and from the F12 boot menu...ive managed to get the desktop to load from the Cd drive. I then click on the intall now icon, and it tells me to key in the Product key,..which is on the underside of the laptop. I do this CORRECTLY,...then when i click on next, I get the following error message

The installation was cancelled. Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.install.wim. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required are available and restart the installtion. Error Code 0x80070002

It then gives me a list of system recovery options: But for the options of system restore and complete windows system restore we never made any backups, so we seem to be stuck Any suggestions please??? I dont wanna take it to a shop where they charge an arm and a leg, lol!!

We also tried to start up repair but nothing happens, as it then defaults back to the system recovery options screen.

Any suggestions please???

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd get a Vista disc from (say) ebay. I have an upgrade one one which cost a tenner, and has worked successfully on several Vista machines link text

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Ok thanks onethelimit1, but I have a Vista recovery Disk, so im a bit confused is this different from the link on ebay please??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try the start up repair several times (5) it seems to fix different things each time - this has been successful for me in the past.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You haven't said what model of Dell laptop it is. However for Vista there should be an Image stored already on a hidden partition.

Do you have a F8 boot menu? If you have you can restore to Factory Fresh Image.

Scroll down to Step 3 on Using Dell Factory Image Restore in Windows Vista

As the computer starts, press F8 on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Its a dell inspiron 1720 laptop, lotcvic. And i cant seem to get the f8 menu to work either, but will try again. Any other suggestions please??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Dell Recovery Instructions 1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo. 2. The Dellâ„¢ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up. 3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter. 4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter. 5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It says F8 in the manual for that model ClickHere

The bad news is you may have wiped the Restore image when you used the CD to reinstall.

"If you received an Operating System CD with your computer, you can use it to restore your operating system. However, using the Operating System CD also deletes all data on the hard drive. Use the CD only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...