We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Logging on and off problems - XP

CabbageWhite

Likes # 0

I am operating Windows XP SP3.

Last week, my last saved Word document was corrupted. When I re-opened it; the text had been replaced by the contents of a (genuine) e-mail from Ocado. That seems to have been a one-off.

Since then, my PC has frozen from time to time at the “Windows is closing down” page.

In the last 3 days, a new problem has arisen on opening the PC. Before logging on is complete, a blue page message comes up:

“Checking File system C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your directories need to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the check. CHKDSK is verifying files.”

I can jump the check, but if I leave it to run:

“Stage 1 (of 3) Corrupt attribute record (160, $130) from the file record segment 64461.”

All other messages relate to $130 and/or 63461.

I have completed malware (Spybot) and virus scans (Norton). No problems found.

I am hoping someone out there can solve the problem for me. Thanks.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

How are you running CHKDSK? Are you running the /f and /r options? If not you wont fix the faults.

Look at this and run CHKDSK with both the /f and /r options link text

Like this post
CabbageWhite

Likes # 0

Thanks for looking at the problem. Sorry, I cannot answer your question (I am fairly PC illiterate). I do not run CHKDSK at all; it runs itself when I switch on - and I am given 9 seconds to hit a key to cancel the process. So I do not know if I am running /f, /r, both, or something else altogether. Apologies again for being such a wimp.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Right. Do the following:

Step One: Click Start, select Run Step Two: In the box, type cmd Step Three: Click Ok Step Four: Run the chkdsk utility by typing in the following command:

chkdsk C: /f /r (exactly as the bold letters) Press Enter

NOTE: The /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered, the /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

NOTE: I am also assuming the drive you wish to check is the C: drive. If it is different then replace the 'C:' with the subject drive letter.

Go and make a cup of tea, watch the TV or whatever as this then takes some considerable time.

Step Five: A reboot is normally required for the chkdsk program to lock the disk and run correctly (this is typical on machines that have only one volume), so simply restart the computer and chkdsk will run automatically. When it's finished, it will boot back to normal Windows.

Go to this link and bookmark the page for future reference link text it may well help you in the future.

It this fails to cure the problem come back with all the details you can and we can look again.

Like this post
CabbageWhite

Likes # 0

JohnDrew - You are a star! Many thanks. You have fixed the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK