We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Safely remove hardware icon

pomerian

Likes # 0

my computer runs windows XP Professional 64 bit and I have lost the safely remove hardware icon. I typed in the work around in this months magazine but when I press enter it gives this error message :- Error in shell32.dll missing entry: control_rundllhotplug.dll. any ideas anyone?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows is missing or has a damaged file.

First, click start then run and type sfc /scannow (make sure there is a space between the c and the /) let it scan and it should find and fix the problem.

Restart the system and see if it worked,

Like this post
pomerian

Likes # 0

I have just tried that it came up with a message" insert SP2 disc " which I don't have since computer came with operating system pre-installed so I went on the net and downloaded SP2 making sure I got the right one the message then changed and said I had inserted the wrong disc

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Here's Missing icona workaround:

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing