We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue screen - how do I run CHKDSK

wildhouse

Likes # 0

I ran the Disk clean-up utility on my Dell Dimension 4550 this afternoon - it took quite a long time but removed quite a bit and I then used my computer for about an hour with no problems. However, when I turned the computer on a couple of hours later, I got a blue screen. I turned off the computer and re-started; first I tried to re-start from the prompt screen to run from the last known working configuration, but it went to the blue screen again. I then tried from safe mode, but still it wouldn't work. According to the Dell website, the blue screen error code (0X00000024) means that there is corrupt data and the run CHKDSK/F. However, I can't see how to do this if Windows won't start. Would love some help!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

chkdsk /f you need the space before /

Op system?

if XP boot from the cd into recovery console

If Vista or W7 Boot from DVD into command prompt

if no dvd then tap F8 (f5) when booting to get to the repair partition

again select command prompt from the menu

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I don't suppose you know what make of HDD is in there?

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat - will try that.

Will investiage HD - I changed it about a year or 2 ago for a larger one so it's not the original one - I still have that if the worst comes to the worst.

Will report back later!

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Have finally managed to get into the recovery console. I have got a a place where I am asked which Windows installation I would like to log into but I am being asked to enter an administrator password. I am not aware that I ever created a password and if I did have no idea what it could be, so I pressed enter. I now have the screen C:|WINDOWS> What should I enter here?

Thanks again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thats the command prompt

now type

chkdsk /f /r

press enter

if you have a large drive it could take quite awhile.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

I thought that was probably what I was supposed to enter! However, as I was unable to get into the recovery console the way you suggested (think my CD drive is being temperamental but thankfully the DVD drive read the Windows CD)I got in by some other way (can't remember now) and eventually got to the prompt screen. However, because I was unsure I decided to close down and got the boot screen again - I had heard the CD whirring so thought I would try again to boot via last known working configuration, and something must have happened, because it worked! Now using my own computer and not my daughter's laptop to write this.

I am wondering if it was something to do with McAfee CleanLite that caused the data damage. I uninstalled McAfee years ago as it slowed my computer down so much and I use Avast as my anti-virus, but for some reason the Clean Lite part wouldn't uninstall. When given the option to delete during the Disk Clean-up process, I had the Windows option or the McAfee option, which is the one I choose. I think I will steer clear of that as I did notice it seemed to have problems with some of the files.

Thanks for your help as it got me there in a 'roundabout' way - have had your help before and always sorted the problem out in the end!

But since my computer is now 8 1/2 years old (even though I have changed the HD and added RAM) I think it is time to speed up the search for a new one!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide