We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Spec & Price, Desktop PCs

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Now that MESH has folded and I was one of the 'reletively lucky' ones. I say 'reletively lucky' because although I got a refund I would have rather had the PC I had ordered.

So, once again the hunt is on for the 'Best Spec & Price, Desktop PC'. Who'll be first to throw their choice into the arena? I don't just want random names, I want links to sites please... :o)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Helpful if you could mention your budget.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you read the reviews in this months PCA mag?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Gengis

I didn't mention a price because I'm not asking for a specific build. What I'm asking for are recommendations of Desktop PC sites that come close to MESH for both spec and price. That, as with MESH present you with a basic package and allow you to swap out parts. Although perhaps I should have added UK sites.

This is what I built and ordered on the MESH site and what I was prepared to pay...

Mini-Tower uATX Chassis - Black 550W HEC Desktop Power Supply Asus P8H67-M Pro Mainboard - Intel Core™ i / LGA 1155 / uATX Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3-2100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz) - LGA1155 4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB) 1024MB ATI Radeon HD5450 Graphics Accelerator GDDR3 NEW 22" Wide LED Monitor - Full HD 1920 x 1080, VGA+DVI-D 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200rpm 16MB Cache Hard Drive - Samsung F3 22x SATA Dual Layer DVD-Rewritable Super Format ±R/±RW/RAM 7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium pre-installed Free Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter Edition (pre-installed OS required) Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem) (pre-installed OS required)(LabelPrint~MediaShow~2Go~Backup~Director Express~DVD~Producer)* BullGuard Internet Security ver. 10 - 90 Day Trial (pre-installed OS required) Cherry Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Corded) - Black Free 3 Years Gold Warranty - inc 3 Months Free Collect & Return

Price inc vat £599.26

There are a couple of things in this list though that I didn't want but wouldn't have had the option to refuse. Those are...

Free Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter Edition (pre-installed OS required) BullGuard Internet Security ver. 10 - 90 Day Trial (pre-installed OS required)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

No I haven't and if you can read between the lines, I guess you have to buy the mag to do that!?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I think that looks a bit of a jumble. try this...

Mini-Tower uATX Chassis - Black

550W HEC Desktop Power Supply

Asus P8H67-M Pro Mainboard - Intel Core™ i / LGA 1155 / uATX

Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3-2100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz) - LGA1155

4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB)

1024MB ATI Radeon HD5450 Graphics Accelerator GDDR3

NEW 22" Wide LED Monitor - Full HD 1920 x 1080, VGA+DVI-D

500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200rpm 16MB Cache Hard Drive - Samsung F3

22x SATA Dual Layer DVD-Rewritable Super Format ±R/±RW/RAM

7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound

Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium pre-installed

Free Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter Edition (pre-installed OS required)

Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem) (pre-installed OS required)

(LabelPrint~MediaShow~2Go~Backup~Director Express~DVD~Producer)

Cherry Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Corded) - Black

Free 3 Years Gold Warranty - inc 3 Months Free Collect & Return

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I rarely go anywhere other than Novatech not always cheapest but their aftersales I can't fault.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanx for the heads up, I'm looking now.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

By the time you have assembled all the reviews and opinions the goalposts will have moved. I bought the best buy PC Advisor desktop in January and now I can get a better system from the same assembler at the same price. But I am very satisfied with the Arbico £500 box and monitor I bought, no teething troubles apart from ongoing ones with PCA website!!!

I learned from the company that it is actually PC Advisor that starts the ball rolling by inviting various assemblers to put together a package for testing built to a target price so you can thank the magazine for pursuing even better value for its readers so you must feel obliged to buy a copy or ten just to say thank you, and a subscription will get you a gift eventually.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Muergo

That's easy for you to say...

"you must feel obliged to buy a copy or ten just to say thank you, and a subscription will get you a gift eventually"

Some months ago PCA were running a promo. If you sent them an email with your telephone number, they would send you a free mag. I realised that the reason you had to give your telephone number instead of your address, was so they could try and talk you into buying mags.

However, when they rang it was my wife that answered and she told them - truthfully - I couldn't come to the phone at that time. So they asked for our address, for the free mag. But that was months ago and what do you know - surprise, surprise - we never got it.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I cannot really help you then as I am a self builder so have no cause to use the type of site you are looking for. Have you never thought of building your own?

Here's a couple of firms that I have heard good reports of. 1 2 3

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia