We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Failure in installing Ubuntu 11.04

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Having got Ubuntu 11-4 running on one of my machines as dual Win/Linux system A chum asked ME TOO So fully equipped with a loaded ready to run Hard drive. a bootable CD. and just in case a IDE/USB cable. Setting the BIOS to buut from CD or Hard drive as appropriate for each attempt.

And nothing worked

At each run after the POST - the same message - DOS Not found

A message not seen before .

So what is missing?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

What do you mean by "a loaded ready to run Hard Drive"? Loaded with what?

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Have you tried installing from the CD from within Windows ?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

A few of things to consider.

First; 11.04 is a buggy release. It seems from many reports, it either works with a certain system, or it doesn't and there appears to be little rhyme or reason for such behaviour.

Second, which version of Windows are you trying to dual boot with? Windows 7 is particularly problematic.

Further, simply changing the make of media you burn the iso to can yield totally different characteristics. One may work, while the other wont.

All in all, Ubuntu 10.10 is a more stable release, but in truth, I prefer Linux Mint for new users, which often produces far less hassle.

While I'm grateful to Ubuntu for the exposure they have given to Linux, they haven't done anyone any favours with 11.04.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I have to agree with LastChip on this. One of the main problems is with the new front end though it's fairly easy to revert to the old Gnome interface.

I have it installed on both my desktop and laptop machines. No problem on the laptop but the desktop has been a fight getting it installed and working. Even now, for some reason, it keeps dropping the connection to my HomeHub2, yet the laptop is rock solid.

Updates install perfectly on the desktop but won't on the laptop!

I imagine there will be a major update sometime soon judging by the number of complaints flying around.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you all for the comments -all valid of course. When I installed it on my machine - Struggled and much advice given here. When it happened -it was slmost like the William Blake drawing of the Almight striking the machine with a lightnig bolt and it all worked And later when i tried to figure exactly what I had done- I had not a clue -almost always the way isn't it.

ams4127- A ready loaded Hard drive- exaclt the - loaded with a copy of the system as running.

In the event my friend has got himself a copy of Linux Format with the DVD Disrto on it. Lets see how he gets on. As he commented - not only a new system but a new language to learn too -.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

"not only a new system but a new language to learn too -."

Too true, but once you get your head around it, it's one hell of a powerful language!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more